Biomechanical Musculoskeletal assessment.
A Biomechanical Musculoskeletal Assessment is the process of diagnosing your foot and lower limb injuries, ascertaining the causative factors, injury mechanism and desired outcome, whilst considering lifestyle, commitments and activity goals. We use listening skills, knowledge of anatomy, physiology, physics and mechanical engineering as part of this assessment. Painful conditions such as foot and leg Arthritis, ligament and tendon strains, Achilles Tendinopathy, Plantar Fasciitis, heel pain syndrome, runners knee pain and forefoot pain often have multifactorial causes and a complex pathology. The end aim of the assessment is to agree on a treatment plan and get you on the road to recovery.
At our clinic, a Biomechanical Musculoskeletal Assessment features:
- Pressure plate analysis
- Pre-information gathering via a comprehensive assessment form
- 1-hour assessment including, standing and lying measurements
- Observation and analysis of your gait
- Conclusions of the consultation & written treatment plan
- Advice on further investigations required by us such as video of a running gait or in-shoe pressure measurement
- Referral letters or requests for further investigation to other health professionals.
- Commencement of the treatment plan -time allowing
The treatment plan can consist of :
- Advice on overall load management
- Planning training for key events or return to normal activity
- Exercise program to strengthen damaged or weakened tissues
- Use of foot orthoses to aid healing, function or performance
- Use of other supports, such as a knee brace
- Specific Rehabilitation program including foot mobilisations, acupuncture and guided exercises
- Advice on a recommended review time and method to check progress on your recovery, either face to face, via telephone or email
We really want to help! Being early and prepared helps to make effective use of time.
- Please arrive 10 minutes early to allow time for the pre-assessment form filling in and pressure plate screening.
- Bring any relevant Doctors or Consultant reports and names of any medication you are taking.
- Please bring gym type clothes, shorts and T-shirt are ideal.
- Bring one pair of leisure and one lair of work footwear that you find the most comfortable, or that are causing you particular problems
- Any previous insoles that you have found to be successful
The examination is thorough and can involve looking at the whole body- if you would like to bring someone as a chaperone or request one of our staff to be present, we will happily arrange this.
Or call us on 0191 232 5896
Find out more at